Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Accidental Musician: #2 My first Hyundai was not a car.

If it ain’t heavy, I ain't gonna bother, brother.
I had a guitar-toting classmate when I was 15. Name’s Gavin, and all he’ll ever play were the Evergreens. He was the coolest guy I knew then, and I was the dorkiest kid ever. In a bid to bridge the gap, I banded with two other low-lifers (Fellas, if you ever end up reading this, don’t hate me, I mean, we weren’t all that cool back then despite our Nintendos. Seriously.) with similar goals and went on a guitar-hunting trip. We ended up at Davis Guitar Music Centre and I picked up a classical guitar with a nice heft to it. I told my buddies that if it’s heavy, it’s quality. I really wanted a Yamaha, but it was out of my league. We left with a $150 Hyundai instead. (Yeah, that Hyundai.)

Change of heart.

After ten years with the Hyundai, I polished it up real good. My skills? Not so much. One day, I chanced upon a guitar at Luther Music and I was never able to look at my prized Hyundai the same way again. It was a Taylor and it was love at first strum. I had no idea how good a guitar can sound, or how bad my Hyundai actually sounded until that fateful encounter. Which might have been why I hardly picked it up. Well, I started saving up for a new Taylor.

Make mine Taylor made.
I really liked Taylor Guitars. So much so that I started building a small collection–Taylor Guitar catalogs to be exact. So when I went to Sinamex with my money at Parklane Shopping Mall, I did the right thing and bought a Timothy guitar. It’s their house brand, well respected, and doesn’t cost an apartment’s down payment like most Taylor guitars do. It’s no Taylor, but the Timothy is as to heaven as the Hyundai is to hell. Don’t judge me.

Take me higher.
Armed with this newfound muse, I decided to take classes. I ended up at Believers Music. I think anyone who wants to learn the guitar should go there, I was able to play a song after my second lesson. Of course, as time went on, the classes got more complex, my playing got better, and the traumatic memories of the Hyundai faded.

I've never gotten myself a second Hyundai if that's what you're wondering. Stringed or those of the four wheel variety. For what it's worth, I don't even have a driver's licence.

2 comments:

  1. *wonders if the freshly minted catalog might have been called the book of 1st Timothy*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. But a catalog of a grand total of two guitars might be too much to handle.

    ReplyDelete