Friday, October 9, 2009

Late night sessions.

Just so you know, this is not a post where I stick to the script. It's gonna be a bit all over the place.

My breath smells of pills that I've been ingesting the last two days. I'm sick with the flu (which is really cold with fever), cough, sore throat, the works. The pills make me feel sedated and I really should be sleeping to speed up recovery. But I'm up at two in the morning thinking up logos for a band. Think alphanumeric, think mohawk, think cat, think punk rock.

Well here's the thing. In the quiet of the night, you can hear the room reverberate in a certain way. There's this inaudible hum that fills the room. And there's the cicadas in the distance. And the hum of the computer. I dig the sound. They all add up to become the soundtrack of my late night creative sessions. It hit me. I like this. I like this a lot. I think I'm made to make things. That is my portion.

I have a lot of interests and hobbies. Like you won't believe. My curiosity takes me to far-flung places. Anyway, there are a few that forms the core. One. Cooking. Two. Basketball. Three. Reading. Four. Drawing. Five. Music/Guitar. I'm gonna take a moment to talk about two of the above. Basketball and Guitars. Two of my loves.

These two contradict each other. They require of me in a way that tears me up. A little bit lah. Well, I'm talking about fingernails. To play ball well and prevent chipping your nails or sinking them into your opponents' fair skin, well, I need to trim them. To play guitar well, you need to keep the fingernails of the fretting fingers, usually the left, trimmed; the strumming ones, if left untrimmed, adds colour and versatility to your playing. Sometimes, it's hard to strike a balance. I settle with strumming with a pick with all fingernails trimmed. What's my point? That you should not let anything come between your interests. Yes, not even yourself. In this case, your fingernails.

I have a guitar on the way. Flying over the Pacific towards me. It's a Larrivée. I only buy Larrivée. For now. And it's electric. I've never played electric. But here we go. It's got a charcoal burst finish on the guitar top. I have two names for it at the moment for the picking. The Black One. Charcoal Pill. What do you think? I think The Beast and Shooting Star and the noob will get along just fine. I gotta find me a guitar coach pronto.

I'm also rediscovering the love of music. When I say music, I mean playing it through the guitar. I know no other instrument. It's gonna be an awesome gift to self. I love me some October. NBA Training Camp. NBA 2K video game releases. Reservist. Spending birthday while serving reservist duty. Stuff. And there's the guitar. I love me some October. Except, it means the weather's gonna get colder and rainier. Translation: less basketball. And Ultimate Frisbee. But it just means it's guitar time. And what a way to welcome Guitar Season. It's a Larrivée RS4. Google it if you want to see what it looks like. I'm a little too tired to wanna post it for ya. Ok ok. Here you go.




The Larrivée family knows how to make them guitars.

Don't mind the ramble. It's late and I'm sedated.

Love to all,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment